Saturday, August 29, 2009

More quit smoking scammers

I recently contacted a company called I Quit Smoking, who claim an 80-90% success rate using laser 'therapy'.

Out of interest I asked what evidence they had to support this astonishing claim - particularly in the light of Cochrane's independent, evidence-based review into acupuncture, auricular and laser therapies, which concluded that "There is no consistent evidence that acupuncture, acupressure, laser therapy or electrostimulation are effective for smoking cessation" and "The review did not find consistent evidence that active acupuncture or related techniques increased the number of people who could successfully quit smoking vs. using placebo or sham acupuncture."

When I asked them to comment on this apparent inconsistency, I didn't hear from them again.

I was also a little suspicious of their testimonials. They quote a testimonial from a Canadian smoker who apparently quit in 2001, despite the company not coming to Canada until 2008. They quote testimonials from Italy and Austria, despite having no operations there. Smells a bit fishy to me!

For a simple, honest, BS-free approach to quitting smoking, please visit us at www.TheEasywayToStopSmoking.com

No comments: