Friday, February 8, 2008

So, what's it really like to be a non-smoker?

When I was a smoker I could never visualize myself as a happy non-smoker. I was convinced that I would go through the rest of my life craving the cigarette I could never smoke and that my life without my 'little friend' would be one of misery, deprivation and irritability.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. When I quit smoking I did not lose a friend, I killed an enemy. As a non-smoker I feel happier, much healthier and free. My energy levels, self-confidence and self-esteem have gone through the roof. The cold hands, the lethargy, the depression and the panic attacks have disappeared.


I still cry when my team loses and I still celebrate when they win. I still love my family, and the fact that I can now spend time with them without trying to create an excuse to leave them to go for a smoke. I still can't stand artichokes or hip-hop. I still worry that I'm going bald...I just don't have to smoke any more, that's all.

No comments: